For week two of Project run & play we were given the challenge to sew something from hand-me-downs or thrift store finds. I had decided beforehand that this week would be about the boy, so I asked my husband to weed out some things from his closet which he no longer wears and wouldn’t mind me using. He gave me four Jcrew t-shirts, an Abercrombie cable knit sweater (from high school!), and I also had a thrifted wool sweater plus some scrap leather which I forgot to include in the picture. To add to the challenge, my sewing machine was in the shop and I could only use my serger or sew by hand! Thankfully everything I wanted to sew primarily required the serger anyways.
From my husband’s Jcrew t-shirts I made a raglan color-block tee with leather patch pocket, and a pair of drop inseam sweatpants. The pattern for the raglan tee was the Field trip raglan t-shirt by Oliver + s in size 2. I sewed it using the two green and beige tees in a very cool color-blocked style of different colored sleeves. I found the look on Pinterest and just fell in love so I had to recreate it!
For the sweatpants I sewed them from the striped Jcrew t-shirt using a self drafted pattern. They have a drop inseam, cutout bum color-blocking, back patch pocket, faux drawstring, and bottom cuffs. They are ridiculously adorable on if I do say so myself and the kid has been living in them since I made them! (Edit – there is a new pattern out that is a very close to these pants called the Mini Hudson by True Bias).
Detail shot of the leather pocket. Since my sewing machine was out of commission I made sure to cut the bottom edges of the shirt and sleeves from the already hemmed edges of the tees so I didn’t have to worry about hemming them. The patch pocket I stitched on by hand and I really love the look!
Detail of the pant back pocket.
From the Abercrombie cable knit sweater I made a henley style pullover with leather buttons reclaimed from an old sweater of mine, plus leather elbow patches which I stitched on by hand. There was a fair amount of hand stitching on this sucker, but the finished look is so great! I think it may even have turned out better than if I had attempted to use the sewing machine on this thick knit. The pattern for this was self drafted with reference to the Oliver + s jumprope dress pattern for constructing the placket.
Last but not least I made a slouchy beanie from the thrifted wool sweater. This pattern was also self drafted and very simple!
And finally the completed outfit! Prepare yourself for an action shot photo bomb 🙂
I seriously love that tee! And those pants. And that beanie. And that kid 😉
Oops took my hat off! But don’t worry mom, got it back on. 😀
Week two done! If you want to see the great things sewn for this week by the competitors you can check them out here.
I can’t wait to get cracking on week three! See you then!